CURRENT AFFAIRS JANUARY 2020
- RBI launched app for visually challenged.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has launched “MANI” app for visually challenged to identify currency Denomination. ‘MANI’ stands for “Mobile Aided Note Identifier”. MANI application scans currency notes using camera and gives audio output in Hindi and English.
- ‘Arogya Sanjeevani’ policy mandatory for insurance companies.
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) has introduced the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy, with a minimum sum insured of Rs 1 lakh, with the upper limit of Rs 5 lakh. The policy term will be for one year. ➢ The Arogya Sanjeevani policy is a first of its kind standard health insurance product that will help easy availability of health insurance.
- For sale of FASTags CSC e-Governance Services India Limited has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL)
- PNB MetLife partnered with RevFin to offer life cover.
RevFin, a digital lending start-up has partnered with PNB MetLife India Insurance Company to provide life insurance to its customers by bundling life insurance cover on their loans.
- VK Yadav has been re-appointed as Railway Board Chairman for a period of one year.
- Hillary Clinton appointed the new chancellor of Queen’s University in Belfast, Ireland.
Hillary Clinton has been appointed the new chancellor of Queen’s University in Belfast, Ireland for a five-year term. She became the university’s first female chancellor. The position of chancellor has been vacant since 2018.
- Harjeet Kaur Joshi appointed as the Chairperson and Managing Director of Shipping Corporation of India (SCI).
Harjeet Kaur will become the first lady to head SCI, which is 63.75 percent owned by the government. She will take charge of SCI at a time when the government is planning to privatize the shipping company.
- Suresh Chandra Sharma appointed as Chairman of National Medical Commission.
- Sucheta Satish can sing in 120 languages wins Global Child Prodigy Award.
Sucheta Satish, Dubai based Indian High School’s nightingale, won in the singing category. The Global Child Prodigy Award is a platform to celebrate children’s talent and power in different categories such as dancing, music, arts, writing, acting, modelling, science, innovation, sports, etc.
- NITI Aayog has released SDG India Index and Dashboard 2019.
Government think tank the NITI Aayog has Aayog has released the 2nd edition of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index and dashboard for the year 2019 in New Delhi.
- India’s second spaceport established in Tamil Nadu.
India’s second spaceport for launching small satellites will be established in Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu.
- 107th edition of Indian Science Congress held in Bengaluru.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated 107th edition of Indian Science Congress held in Bengaluru. The theme of ISC 2020 is “Science and Technology: Rural Development”. The event brings together science fraternity across the world to discuss scientific innovation and research.
- Visakhapatnam will host the 14th Global Healthcare Summit 2021.
- Indian Railways launches integrated helpline number 139 for passengers.
The Indian Railways has integrated its helpline numbers into a single number 139 for quick grievance redressal and enquiries by passengers during their train journeys. The new helpline number 139 will take over all the existing helpline numbers.
- 5th Global Drosophila Conference held at Pune.
- India extends USD 75 mn line of credit for solar parks in Cuba.
Export-Import Bank (Exim Bank) has given a $75 million line of credit to Cuba for financing 75 MW Photovoltaic Solar Parks.
- Flipkart has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry to support the ministry’s DAY-NULM.
Indian e-commerce company Flipkart has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry to support the ministry’s ‘Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM). Under the MoU Flipkart will sell the products made by women self-help groups under (DAY-NULM) on the e-commerce platform.
- The Pacific nation of Palau has become the first country in the world to ban sunscreen.
The Pacific nation of Palau has become the first country in the world to ban sunscreen that is harmful to corals and sea life. Sunscreen that includes ingredients like oxybenzone and octinoxate is no longer allowed to be worn or sold in Palau.
- UP State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC) has launched a dedicated women helpline named Damini.
As an extension of “Nirbhaya Yojana” of the central government a unique number, “81142-77777”, has been subscribed for the helpline. By using this ‘Damini’ helpline women passengers can lodge their complaints by calling or by using WhatsApp service.
- ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative launched by the Maharashtra State Government.
Maharashtra Government has launched a ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative to ensure that women and children do not fall prey to these cyber-criminal activities.
- Uttar Pradesh State Govt. has become the 1st state to shortlist migrants for citizenship.
Uttar Pradesh is all set to become the first state in the country to start the exercise of shortlisting migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan, eligible for citizenship under the new Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has launched an AI-powered learning platform NSE Knowledge Hub.
It is organised in New Delhi. The hub will assist insurance, banking, and financial services. The hub has adopted the latest technology of Artificial Intelligence.
- ISRO to set up Human Space Flight Centre.
The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) will set up a Massive Human Space Flight Center in the Challakere in Chitradurga district of Karnataka.
- Indian Army to sign MoU for AK-203 assault rifles with Russia.
As per the MoU, around 1 lakh rifles are to be received directly from Russia and the rest will be manufactured in India
- Umaro Cissoko Embalo won Guinea-Bissau presidential election.
In the Guinea-Bissau Umaro Cissoko Embalo has won the presidential election with 53.55 percent of votes.
- Sanjay Gupta has been honoured with Lokmanya Tilak journalism award.
Sanjay Gupta (editor-in-chief of ‘Jagran’) will be honoured with the ‘Lokmanya Tilak National Journalism Award’ for his contribution to the field of journalism.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni picked as captain of ESPN Cricinfo’s ODI and Twenty20 teams of the decade.
Virat Kohli was named the leader in Tests. Kuldeep Yadav, and Yuzvendra Chahal, were the only other Indians to make the Test XI. Former skipper Mithali Raj and fast bowler Jhulan Goswami were named in the same women’s team picked for both the ODIs and T20s. Australia’s inspirational cricketer, Meg Lanning was named the captain of the side.
- Magesh Chandran won the Hastings International chess title.
Indian Grand Master P Magesh Chandran has won the 95th edition of the prestigious Hastings International Chess Congress in Hastings, England.
- Saurabh Chaudhary won a gold medal in men’s 10 m air pistol at 63rd National Shooting Championship.
Second-placed Sarabjot Singh of Haryana was well behind with a score of 243.9, while world number two Abhishek Verma settled for bronze in a high-quality final.
GENERAL AWARENESS JANUARY 2020
- Cristiano Ronaldo won Best Men’s Player of the Year at Dubai Globe Soccer Awards 2019.
Ronaldo has won the award six times out of its nine years of its existence. England international Lucy Bronze was crowned Best Women’s Player of the Year.
- Two Indian banks have decided to end their operations in Sri Lanka.
Axis Bank and ICICI Bank have decided to end their operations in Sri Lanka. The licenses issued to them will be cancelled once the winding-up operations are complete.
- Shivalik Mercantile Co-operative Bank got approval to convert to Co-operative Bank to a small finance bank (SFB).
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted in-principle approval to Co-operative Bank to convert to a small finance bank (SFB) Shivalik Mercantile Co-operative Bank Ltd. It becomes the first urban cooperative bank (UCB) to make the transition since the guidelines came out nearly two years ago.
- State Bank of India has announced the ‘Residential Builder Finance with Buyer Guarantee’ (RBBG) scheme.
Public sector bank State Bank of India has announced the ‘Residential Builder Finance with Buyer Guarantee’ (RBBG) scheme to give a push to residential sales and improve homebuyers’ confidence.
- PayU have decided to acquire a controlling stake in PaySense.
Payment and fintech company PayU has decided to acquire a controlling stake in digital credit platform PaySense in a deal valued at USD 185 million.
- Michael Patra appointed as the deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a three-year term.
- Sachin Bansal acquires DHFL General Insurance.
Sachin Bansal (Flipkart co-founder and former CEO) has acquired DHFL General Insurance from Kapil Wadhawanled Wadhawan Group Capital (WGC) for around Rs 100 crore.
- Infosys signed a deal with leading European automotive logistics firm GEFCO.
The Global software major Infosys signed a 5-year deal with leading European automotive logistics firm GEFCO to digitize its worldwide operations.
- Paytm announced the launch of its all-in-one QR for merchants.
India’s leading digital payments company Paytm announced the launch of its all-in-one QR for merchants across the country. The QR code will enable the business to accept unlimited payments through Paytm Wallet, Rupay Cards and all UPI-based payment apps directly into their bank account at zero percent fee. The platform offers a single reconciliation of all payments through its ‘Paytm for Business’ app.
- HDFC Bank launched the myApps application.
India’s leading private sector lender HDFC Bank launched myApps application to boost digital payments in India. myApps is a unique customized suite of banking products to benefit urban local bodies, housing societies, local clubs and gymkhanas, and religious institutions.
- Zoran Milanovic won the presidential election of Croatia.
- Haitham bin Tariq al-Said took over as Sultan of Oman.
- Tsai Ing-wen won the Taiwan presidential election.
Tsai won 8.17 million votes, while her main rival Han Kuo-yu bagged 5.52 million votes (38.6 percent). ➢ Her Democratic Progressive party retained control of the legislature, according to final results.
- Lt Col Yuvraj Malik appointed the Director of the National Book Trust (NBT).
Malik has also served with the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Home Affairs, Raj Bhawan in Jammu & Kashmir, United Nation Missions in Africa and several operational areas in administrative and operational assignments including Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim, Punjab and Rajasthan.
- Robert Abela was sworn in as the 14th Prime Minister of Malta.
Abela is the son of former President of Malta George Abela. Robert Abela secured a surprising victory in Malta’s governing party’s internal leadership contest to be elected as the new leader.
- M Nagaraj appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the state-owned Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO).
- Hyundai Motor Company partnered with Uber to produce electric air taxis.
South Korean automobile manufacturer Hyundai Motor Company has entered into a partnership with US ride-hailing giant Uber to produce electric air taxis. Hyundai also unveiled a new full-scale concept PAV (personal air vehicle), developed jointly with Uber, at the ongoing Consumer Electronics Show 2020.
- Amit Shah has released a book Karmayoddha Granth
Union Home Minister Amit Shah has released a book named Karmayoddha Granth on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Global Investors Meet ‘ASCEND 2020’ will be held in Kochi, Kerala.
The Kerala government will highlight the 18 mega projects in the meet including Kochi-to-Palakkad integrated manufacturing cluster, a defence park at Ottapalam and an electronic hardware park in Ernakulam.
- ‘Census India-2021’ will begin on 1st of April 2020.
- Amit Shah has inaugurated the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) and dedicated National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal cybercrime.gov.in.
National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal is a citizen-centric initiative that will enable citizens to report cyber-crimes online through the portal.
- The Ministry of Steel will launch a world-class steel hub Purvodaya.
The hub aims at an accelerated development programme of eastern states.
- Narendra Modi has announced to rename the Kolkata Port Trust after Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.
- World Future Energy Summit 2020 held in Abu Dhabi.
The four-day annual Summit is dedicated to advancing future energy, clean technologies, and energy efficiency. The theme for this year’s summit is “Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment.”
- The Statue of Unity has been included in 8 wonders of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
The Statue of Unity is the statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of independent India. The 182-meter tall statue is the world’s tallest statue.
- Vishakhapatnam will host the International naval exercise ‘MILAN’ in March 2020.
The theme of the exercise for the year 2020 is ‘Synergy Across the Seas’. The Milan exercise which will be hosted by Eastern Naval Command (ENC) the objective of this exercise is to enhance professional interaction between foreign navies and also make use of the best practices in the maritime domain.
- Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) to set up in Gandhinagar.
The Gujarat govt. has announced to set up Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) in Gandhinagar. Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) will identify, nurture and promote children’s innovation in the state.
- India’s first Cyber Crime Prevention Unit AASHVAST.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah has inaugurated the country’s first Cyber Crime Prevention Unit AASHVAST. It will have a dedicated service helpline for victims of cyber-crimes.
- Jasbinder Bilan won the United Kingdom’s Costa Children’s Award 2019.
India-born author Jasbinder Bilan has bagged a coveted United Kingdom’s Costa Children’s Award 2019’. She won the award for her debut novel ‘Asha and the Spirit Bird’.
- Jasprit Bumrah received BCCI’s Polly Umrigar Award.
Indian pacer Jasprit Bumrah received the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)’s Polly Umrigar Award.
- Kento Momota won the Malaysia Masters 2020.
Japanese badminton player Kento Momota has won the Malaysia Masters 2020. He defeated Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen 24-22, 21-11.
- Ladakhwon the 7th National Ice Hockey Championship Women trophy.
- NAREDCO launched real-estate portal.
National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO) has launched a real estate portal for home buyers. NAREDCO’s portal www.HousingForAll.Com
- India and Finland signed MoU.
This MoU was signed in the field of production, procurement, research and development of defence-related equipment to increase bilateral defence cooperation.
- Amazon to invest USD 1 billion in India.
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos announced that he would invest USD 1 to digitize small and medium businesses in India.
- Tanya Shergill will command the Republic Day.
Captain Tanya Shergill of the Army’s Corps of Signals will command the Republic Day parade. She made history while leading all-men parade contingent.
- India ranks 84th in Henley Passport Index.
- Brazilian President J. M. Bolsonaro will be the Chief Guest on India’s 71st Republic Day celebrations.
- Adani Capital acquires Essel Finance’s MSME business
Essel Finance’s micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) loan business is acquired by Adani Capital Private Ltd. Adani Capital has secured a loan book of around Rs 145 crore.
- Bharti Airtel Ltd approved to increase Foreign Direct Investment.
Bharti Airtel Ltd has received approval from the Telecom department to increase the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the company to 100%.
- Hyderabad Metro partnered with redBus for carpool services.
- RBI stands at 6th position in buying gold abroad in World Gold Council report
- Meeting of the World Economic Forum held in Davos, Switzerland.
- Zomato acquires Uber Eats.
“Zomato” has announced the acquisition of Uber Eats business in India. The acquisition was done in an all-stock deal. The deals provide Uber with the 9.99% ownership in Zomato after the acquisition.
- Nripendra Misra appointed as the chairman of NMML.
The Government of India has appointed Nripendra Misra as the chairperson of the executive council and Dr A Surya Prakash as the vice-chairperson of the executive council of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML).
- Successfully test-fired K-4 Ballistic Missile.
The nuclear-capable K-4 ballistic missile has been successfully test-fired by India at Vizag coast in Andhra Pradesh by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Vinesh Phogat bags gold medal at the Rome Ranking Series.
Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat defeated Ecuador’s Luisa Elizabeth Melendres in the 53 kg category to win the gold medal at the 2020 season of the Rome Ranking Series held in Rome.
Stay tuned because we will be updating this page frequently
Author: Swapnali Narwade
Download for Free – Monthly free 200 questions with answers